Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Face Your Fear

I am one of those guys who become ‘a bundle of nerves’ when put on stage. Public speaking is makes me fidgety. It’s not that I am the worst speaker around, but my nervousness really makes me a bad one at times. Ironically, I also happen to be a guy who loves to express. Trust me, this is a tricky combination. Though, you always do not need a podium to express you idea. But to be able to put your perspective of things confidently in public has its own benefits.


I remember my first day in college when I was pushed on the stage in front hundreds of students and teaching staffs. I was supposed to just introduce myself and let in public three interesting fact about myself. And guess what? I did exactly the same but the way I did it was a little interesting. I had my eyes fixed on a corner of the wall and my speech so evidently mugged up that a slightest of interruption would make me recite it from the beginning.


Well, since then I was hardly forced and I never chose to test my public speaking skills. Though I was saved of the embarrassments, it was a 'curse in a disguise'. As I grew in my professional life, I realized more and more the need to be able to express confidently my views and takes on things in meetings, in front of the management and also in front of the client. I would, at times sit tight or go dumb as if it had become a part of my nature. I was often bogged down in a discussion or an argument. Not good!Not good at all.


A sensible friend and colleague came up with an idea of starting a "Communication club" in our office. Here people like me who need to work on their communication skill would get an opportunity to improve. I latched on it.


A few days back I gave a public speech. Good or bad, I don’t know and I don’t care. I was there for a different reason. I was there to look straight into the eyes of one of my biggest fears. I am happy to think that I was able to do exactly that. I am glad that the whole "Communication Club" thing happened and I am making the most out it.


I know a couple of colleague who like me suffer from the same ‘phobia’. But sadly they didn’t show enough courage the take the first step. I wish, like me, they too realize sooner than later that the only way to overcome a fear is to ...face it.

7 comments:

itsme said...

i will only say that after reading this blog if somone is not coming in communication club ...

"to jab abhi bhi na khaula woh khoon nahi paani hai"

i hope we will enjoy and learn togather in our communication club ..lets meet

Chandragupta said...

Great Article.. I'm also blessed with the 'Curse in Disguise' and still working towards curing it.

Keep up the good work..

This comes straight from the heart.

Biraj said...

As usual... with great insight view....felt like being my own...
Would not only look into "FEAR" eyes but would stare back at it...
Let's learn & make it an enjoyable exp.
Thanks.

Subhojit Tarafdar said...

Great post after reading it i just felt like some one else just wrote my story.Its a gr8 thing happening in our office and is a gr8 initiative...keep up the good work and truely we have to conquer our own fears in order to develop our selves.Truely "Dar ke aagey jeet Hai".

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more on this. We all have a fear of something and it's always good to face it from front. The public speaking becomes tough when it's not in your native language. The purpose should be simple, learn the language - beat the fear.

I have always felt that i have many things to convey though sometimes the communication "hurdle" comes in scene. I can feel closer to your ambiguity where you say, "want to express - lacks the rhythm", a combo which kills your inner motivation to talk.

Let's work together to live our urges and thump the fear.

Unknown said...

This blog is really inspiration for me.I have same problem. I felt nervous and forget my views on the stage.Thanks for u and communication club.

Manish Singh said...

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.

Jab Dil Se Kuch Chaho To Sari Kayanat aapko usse milane me madad karti hai!

Keep it up!